I missed the first two "Just walk across the room" sessions for different reasons, but I was really glad I went to this one. The theme of this past session was "The Power of Story" or how to share my story with others. The following verse was used as an introduction:
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have" 1 Peter 3:15B
I am always glad to share my story of hope, but I think it is sometimes hard for people to relate to some of the things I have experienced. I am never sure of where to start, or how to turn my kind of sad story into a story of hope. I am not a big fan of the "Oh! You poor thing..." or the "Oh! Get over it already!" looks on people's faces.
We watched a video which listed the common mistakes people make when sharing their stories:
- long stories ("It all started when I was about 4 years old...")
- fuzzy stories ("I knew I was looking for something, I found that something...")
- superiority stories ("I have always led a righteous life, and I will pray for you to do the same..")
- religionese stories (lengthy discussions on the Kingdom, the rapture, the Tribulation...)
- weird God stories (dreams, visions, prophetic words, healing stories...)
The point of the exercise was to learn to share my story by following these three simple steps: life before Christ- Christ- and life after Christ. Well, in my case, it is more about a reconnection story, than a conversion story, but the principle is the same. My story needs to brief, but interesting enough to catch the listener's attention, and invite questions.
Still working on it....
EED
2 comments:
Okay, you have gotten my attention, someday we would like to hear the story (weird or not). Not sure if a blog is the place or not....but something is there for sure.
I was remembering a man (not a believer) use the phrase "in my heart of hearts". I believe that is where we find Him, in our hearts. The Kingdom of God is neither here or there, but within you. When I see that in others...it awakens me. thank you
Thank you Brad!
My story starts in the late 70s when my parents met in a prayer group...
Hum...I think you might be right about this blog not being the best place to hear the whole story. I would also love to share it someday!
Post a Comment