Monday, October 27, 2008

The book of Judges, or stories of disobedience and mercy

Continuing my reading of the Old Testament...I recently finished reading the book of Judges. It was so exiting!

I was seriously blown away by God's mercy! Mercy for his forgetful people, mercy for his flawed judges/leaders, mercy for me! It's so easy to break eye contact with God, so easy to get distracted, so easy to worship others gods, whether work, money, TV, stars...or even worse, ourselves. It's so easy to get lost!

"Again the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD... "

This verse is repeated multiple times throughout the book. After the Israelites realized they were lost, they suddenly remembered how their God heard them, answered their prayers, and led them out of the land despair. It is hard for me to imagine why He keeps forgiving their sins; fully knowing that they will sin again.

"The LORD replied, "When the Egyptians, the Amorites, the Ammonites, the Philistines, the Sidonians, the Amalekites and the Maonites oppressed you and you cried to me for help, did I not save you from their hands? But you have forsaken me and served other gods, so I will no longer save you. Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen. Let them save you when you are in trouble!" Judges 10: 11-14

Almost immediately followed by:

"Then they got rid of the foreign gods among them and served the LORD. And He could bear Israel's misery no longer." Judges 10:16

I can't possibly imagine why He keeps coming to my rescue. Is that what love is? Unconditional love? Wow! Obviously, I am speechless...

EED


No comments: